Getting The Takedown – Arm Drag Takedown With Luis Heredia
In Issue 30, Feb/Mar ’15, Jiu-Jitsu Magazine features an indepth article on both Judo and Wrestling takedowns by none other than Luis “Limao” Heredia, a modern day pioneer of jiu-jitsu. In his feature article he goes over multiple take downs utilizing both Judo and Wrestling styles. Check out this wrestler’s arm drag takedown.
Arm drag Takedown
The arm drag is a wrestling move that pulls the opponent’s arm across the body to get him off balance and to expose a vulnerability; could be the back, could be the opponent’s side, whatever becomes exposed means he’s not squared up to you. Luis uses an arm drag working off the pummel to get to Stefan’s side. From there, Stefan could hunker down and make himself real heavy to defend a wrestling lift to be taken down. So, instead, Luis goes for a trip to take Stefan down.
1. As Stefan and Luis pummel, Luis grabs Stefan’s right arm at the wrist.
2. Luis pushes Stefan’s arm down to clear his body.
3. Luis brings his right hand behind Stefan’s arm at the triceps.
4. Using the hold of the arm, Luis “drags” Stefan to his right and immediately brings his left arm around Stefan’s waist on the left side.
5. With control of Stefan, Luis steps in to get closer to establish a connection.
6. Luis brings his left leg across the back of Stefan’s legs and pulls Stefan back.